Thursday, September 25, 2008

Thúy Vi-chan

Having a “best” friend is something that most of us claim, although I’m not sure that’s the right term to use in my case. To me, your best friend isn’t the one who you get along with the most, or get the best gifts from. It isn’t someone who is similar to you, or hangs out with you all the time. A best friend is the person that’s always in the back of your mind, and often at the front. My closest friend and I are always disappointing each other, and our relationship is far from perfect. However, she’s the kind of person you can’t help but love, despite her somewhat radical personality. She is genuine with her words and feelings, loyal, and has an irresistible childlike innocence. Although we’ve had many rough times, my best friend is most definitely Thúy Vi-chan.
Mary Anne, or Thúy Vi, is always genuine because she’s honest, to the point, and never pretends to be someone she’s not. She isn’t afraid to tell you what she thinks, whether it’s positive or not. Furthermore, she’ll criticize you if you need it, or encourage you if you feel like giving up. Thúy Vi is a very straightforward person. She doesn’t bother with forced cheerfulness or fake pity. On the other hand, if she’s feeling down, she’ll tell you, and when she’s happy, you’ll be showered with grins. Thúy Vi isn’t afraid to disagree with you. She tends to have different tastes than me, but we still manage to get along. A lot of times though, I’ll love something she scoffs at. Thúy Vi’s always sure to let you know about something she’s excited about. Moreover, nobody could change her if they wanted to, because she isn’t interested in being different for other people. She’s actually a very emotional person, with a hot-cold personality. Thus, her feelings are always intense, and sometimes very short-lived. Thúy Vi’s present mood will affect the whole room. Although this can drive me crazy, I’ve found ways to perk her up. A joyful Thúy Vi is an event that will make your day.
Thúy Vi is loyal in the way that she stands by you in troubled times, is always willing to forgive you, and doesn’t talk poorly about you to other people. She’s that person you’ll want on your side when things get hard. If you stand up for her, she’ll always be there for you. Even though we’ve had had countless fights, she still remains by my side. As a result, Thúy Vi’s forgiveness is valuable, as it coincides with her loyalty. You don’t have to worry about her talking about you behind your back; she’ll just say it to your face. She’s there for you in the bad times and the good. Therefore, If someone has hurt you, she makes a wonderful defender. Thúy Vi doesn’t judge you by your appearance or morals, and if you tell her something personal, she’ll keep it to herself. Even after knowing all your flaws and dirty habits, she accepts you for who you are. As you can see, Thúy Vi isn’t the kind of person who betrays a friend for petty reasons.
Thúy Vi has always had child-like traits that draw me towards her. Like a child, she is easily affected by her environment, sometimes simple-minded, and at times, easily fooled. She appears to be a sensitive and somewhat gullible person. Not the quickest on jokes, Thúy Vi sometimes feels naive in a lot of areas. She likes keeping it simple, and is amused by the silliest things. She can only be described as “cute”, and is always making ridiculous expressions. Thúy Vi is also shy, like when it comes to talking to strangers. She sometimes doesn’t have very good self-esteem. On the other hand, she is a child in the way that she soaks up everything around her. She’s constantly asking questions, and is curious about society and its ideas. Her dreams are always big, and she aims high. Accordingly, Thúy Vi likes being good at things, and enjoys having people proud of her. Like a child, she wants to know that she’s doing a good job. And although her sensitive nature sometimes gets the best of her, Thúy Vi’s vulnerability is something that makes me want to be there for her. Her child-like qualities inspire me to become a better person, so I can be a good role model for her.
Even though it is said that people unconsciously look for a part of themselves in others, our vast differences have drawn us closer together. My best friend is someone that I want to know more and more every day, and the trust she’s invested in me makes that possible. Thúy Vi is the person I worry about the most, and she’s always in my thoughts. Our memories together over the years have helped shape me into the person I am today, and she is just as much a part of me as I am of her. We have laughed, cried, and learned together all throughout our teenage years. Thúy Vi will always be a best friend to me, even if we have to part ways.

No comments: